Saturday, May 15, 2010

So long, sweetheart

It's been a while since I've posted. Between work and personal stuff, it's been a busy time. And I guess I haven't had anything I just had to say. But now I do.

We had to say goodbye to our precious, magnificent Buster about a week and half ago. He wasn't feeling so good, but we thought he'd stay with us for a while yet. One evening, our younger dog, Zaq, woke us up to a very sick Buster. We quickly learned that he had a number of medical crises at the same time; and wouldn't have survived the first treatment needed to save his life. Our decision was clear.

We brought Zaq with us to visit with Buster as we said goodbye and prayed him back to Jesus. If our Lord knows when a sparrow falls, He surely knew what a blessing Buster was to Mark and I - and surely, Buster has his great head on our Lord's knee this very moment.

I miss him - today especially. It used to be that I'd take both Zaq and Buster on a long hike to the dog beach at the river once or twice a weekend. Now, it's just Zaq and me on those hikes. We're both adjusting, but we both still miss Buster. So does Mark. During the last year of Buster's life, they were almost constant companions. Buster was an office dog from the first weeks of his life right up until his last day.

Buster's real name was Robusto e dolce. Strong and sweet, the way I like espresso. He was the biggest dog we'd ever had (still). For a Bernese, he was very tall. Let me put it this way - the bottom of his chin easily cleared the dining room table. Since Buster had a true fascination with "people food," we ended up training him to lay at our feet during meals. What a good boy. He'd sit there, drooling all over the beautiful white ruff on his chest, trusting that there would be some scrap for him. Of course, there almost always was.
  
Buster loved the beach.  Even in his older years, he'd race Zaq.  Here he is, winning the last race to get to Daddy (and treats) first.  He probably paid for it the next day, but I'll bet it was worth it to him, just to beat Zaq.  

I remember that day.  

Good dog.

No comments: