Monday, December 7, 2009

Reason for comfort food

September 5 - 9:18 am (original post)

My husband – my fiercely independent and stoic husband – has been fighting an infection lately. We’re at the end of a month of hospitalizations, doctor appointments, and visits to three area emergency departments (you can tell someone who’s been in the hospital because they know to call it the ED instead of the ER). To top it off, my baby puppy (now 4 years old but you better not laugh at me) hurt himself jumping into the car yesterday. And when I say hurt, I mean screaming pain. Between Mr. Stoic and my baby, I finally fell apart yesterday.

But it’s always darkest before the dawn. I fell apart, gave all this crappy stuff back to God and asked for help with the practical details. I dropped Zaq off at the vet for a day of pampered observation (THANK YOU, Dr. Becky!), dropped Buster off at the office (YOU ARE AMAZING, Debbie!). Fought my way through lingering traffic to the huge teaching hospital to find that Mr. Stoic’s fever broke in the wee hours of the morning. Whew! He was discharged, prescriptions picked up, dogs picked up from the office and the vet. After a simple dinner, I fell into bed, exhausted. It’s strange how stress can just whip you physically.

Today is the first in a three-day weekend, which I need. It is the first day to start rebuilding Mr. Stoic and Zaq from their various medical challenges. Neither one of them are out of the woods, but I can take care of them better at home. Comfort food is definitely in order for all of us. Swedish pancakes this morning with Mr. Stoic’s Strawberry Freezer Jam were a good start. Later, I’ll make Dad’s Macaroni & Cheese. For us, it’s a step in the direction of familiarity, home, and health.

I call this "Dad's Macaroni & Cheese" not because he created the dish, but because I developed it for him. In my family, the best macaroni and cheese has a cheesy-crunchy top - not leathery as melted cheese can sometimes get - but light, crunchy and full of flavor (and layered over creamy pasta).

Dad’s Macaroni & Cheese

1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni

2 tbsp butter

2 tbsp flour

1 1/4 cups whole milk

1/4 tsp paprika (I add more)

dash of freshly-grated nutmeg

1/2 tsp freshly-ground white pepper

3 cups grated sharp cheese (I use Tillamook aged white cheddar)

generous handful of panko crumbs (a scant cup)

salt to taste

Hot sauce (Tabasco style)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil macaroni according to package directions and drain. You want the pasta fairly al dente since you’re going to bake it further. Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Blend in flour, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in milk and cream. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and add paprika, nutmeg, pepper and 2 cups of the cheese; stir until cheese is melted. Gently stir in macaroni and adjust seasoning to taste. Place in a buttered 1-quart casserole dish.

Toss panko crumbs with remaining grated cheese. Sprinkle over the top of the macaroni & cheese. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let sit for 5 minutes or so after removing from the oven. Serve with hot sauce on the side. Serves 4-6 (with no leftovers).

NOTES: I double this recipe most of the time, as the leftovers are sublime. A riff on this dish is to add a little protein (this is a trick from a fine Louisiana chef). After you get the mac and cheese into the casserole dish, gently stir in one beaten egg. Add panko crumb topping and bake. This dish is a great one to send over to a friend who's just had a baby or has been sick. Bag up the panko/cheese topping separately and have them add it just before the dish goes in the oven.

No comments: